9th Annual Addiction Day Scientific Conference Highlights
In collaboration with the Canadian Society of Addiction Medicine, the 9th Annual Addiction Day Scientific Conference and Networking Fair, was hosted on Friday, May 26, 2017, at the University of Calgary MacEwan Hall and Foyer. The 9th annual event was attended by 243 physicians and allied health care providers and profiled 28 networking fair booths highlighting a broad array of services across the Addiction Mental Health care continuum.
Inspirational speaker Chris Cull opened the program providing a testimonial of his recovery from opioid use addiction and his experience in riding across Canada (twice) to promote awareness.
Plenary and Workshop presentations occurred throughout the day highlighting the following topical and relevant issues:
- Sudie Back ~ The Intersection of Substance Use Disorders and PTSD
- Christy Sutherland ~ An Overview of Harm Reduction: Supervised Consumption and Injectable Opioids
- Sam Chang ~ Adolescent Substance Use Disorder and ADHD: Partners in Crime
- John Gill ~ Addiction & Infectious Diseases: What You Need To Know
- Ann Crabtree ~ Pearls, Perils & Pitfalls of Opioid Prescribing
- Capri Rasmussen & Ms. Janine Copeland ~ Women & Addiction: A Local Perspective
- Rob Tanguay ~ Chronic Opioid Treatment in Chronic Non-Cancer Pain
- David Hodgins ~ A Taste of Motivational Interviewing for Practitioners
- Kathryn Fitch ~ Dialectal Behavioral Therapy: Mining the Split
- Peter Butt ~ Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment – SBIRT
- Deborah Dobson ~ Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Fundamentals
The scientific conference was concluded with a multi-panel plenary presentation including:
- John Pereira ~ Medical Marijuana for Pain
- Ann Crabtree ~ Prescribing Drugs with Potential for Use or Misuse: The CPSA standards
- Ron Lim ~ Review and Development of a National Clinical Opioid Use Disorder Treatment Guidelines
The event was successfully concluded with the awarding of the following door prizes
- Inspire T-shirt ~ donated by Chris Cull Inspire clothing line
- Complimentary 10th Annual Addiction Day registration ~ donated by Addiction Day planning committee
- Two $50 dollar gift certificates to UofC Medical Book Store ~ donated by Canadian Society Addiction Medicine
Presentations are currently being uploaded onto www.Addictionday.ca with recordings to follow.