An Introduction and Overview of Alcohol Use Disorders & At-Risk Drinking
- Screening for unhealthy drinking
- Categorizing: at-risk, mild, moderate or severe alcohol use disorders (AUDs)
- Brief interventions for at-risk drinking and mild AUDs
- Assessing a patient with a moderate or severe AUD
- Managing patients with a moderate or severe AUD
- Connect to other resources
An Introduction and Overview of Alcohol Use Disorders & At-Risk Drinking – Ron Fraser PDF
Opioids – A Review
- Context: Canada’s opioid crisis
- Prescription opioids: a major source of the epidemic
- Family physician perspectives
- Prevention of opioid use disorders
- Management of opioid use disorder
Opioids: A Review – Meldon Kahan PDF
A Review on Benzos
- Why can BZD use be problematic ?
- When is BZD use problematic ?
- What can we do about problematic BDZ use?
- Describe detoxification approaches
Benzos: A Review – Gilles Fleury PDF
- Describe popular stimulants and how they are abused
- Understand the neurobiology and pharmacology of stimulants
- Describe short and long-term effects of stimulant use
- Understand effective treatment options for stimulant use disorders
Stimulants – Lydia Vezina PDF
BioPsychoSocial Approaches to Addiction
Kathryn J. Gill
- Alcohol, drugs, new psychoactive substances
- Addiction –What are the signs and symptoms? How does it develop?
- What are the effects of drugs/alcohol on the brain? What are the implications for treatment?
- Vulnerability to addiction – the roles of genetics and environment
BioPsychoSocial Approaches to Addiction – Kathryn J. Gill PDF
Cannabis Use Disorder
- Endocannabinoid System
- Cannabis and methods of cannabis intake
- Epidemiology of cannabis use disorders
- Synthetic Cannabinoids
- Cannabis intoxication and withdrawal
- Mental Health and Cognitive Effects
- Use in pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Psychotherapeutic and pharmacological treatments
- Therapeutic Benefits ?
Cannabis Use Disorder – Selene Etches PDF
Concurrent Disorders: An Introduction
- Discuss epidemiological data
- Review underlying models and risk factors explaining concurrent disorders.
- Review the assessment process facilitating the evaluation of patients with both mental disorders and addictions.
- Discuss common presentations of co-occurring disorders.
- Describe approaches to treatment for patients with concurrent disorders
Concurrent Disorders: An Introduction – Annie Trepanier PDF
Screening, Brief Intervention & Referral (SBIR)
- Review the origin of Canada’s SBIR initiative
- Explore the process of SBIR for various risk categories
- Explore the CFPC website: WWW.SBIR-DIBA.CA
Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral (SBIR) – David Luckow PDF